The UNAOC-EF Summer School is the result of a collaboration between two organizations committed to bridging cultural divides – the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations and EF Education First.
The UNAOC-EF Summer School takes place from 16 August 2014 to 23 August 2014 on the campus of the EF International Language Center in Tarrytown, New York. Tarrytown is about 45 kilometers from the center of New York City.
The objectives of the UNAOC-EF Summer School are to:
- contribute to the empowerment of young people by enhancing their intercultural skills and competences;
- strengthen young people’s capacity to get involved in the preparation and implementation of cooperative action across borders;
- facilitate networking and exchanges between young people; and
- develop a network of alumni and make it an important platform for joint action to help address a global challenge.
The curriculum delivered as part of the UNAOC – EF Summer School helps address issues at the core of United Nations’ mandate: peace and security, development, human rights, humanitarian affairs, international law.
More precisely, given the specific mandate of the UNAOC and EF’s mission, the focus will be on issues related to global challenges with links to cultural and religious diversity, such as:
- Understanding and fostering responsible global citizenship
- Reducing stereotypes and promoting intercultural harmony through the use of concrete tools such as media and information literacy; education about diversity; inclusive policy making
- Building alliances through negotiation, peacebuilding and reconciliation
- Growing and sustaining our impact on positive social change with specific skills and attitudes (resilience, communications, social media, advocacy, social entrepreneurship)
Selected participants of the UNAOC – EF Summer School 2014 will be provided with the following:
- international travel to and from the international airport closest to their residence. This economy class international ticket will be issued for arrival in New York City on 16 August 2014 and departure on 23 August 2014. The ticket will follow the most direct route between the closest international airport and New York City,
- shared accommodation (double or triple rooms with participants of the same gender) while in Tarrytown,
- meals during the official portions of the Summer School,
- full event access during the entire week of the Summer School,
- shuttles from and to the airport in New York City.
- the cost of US and transit visas (if applicable),
- the cost of vaccinations required to enter the US (if applicable), and
- the cost of medical insurance required to enter the US (if applicable).
Participants will cover the following:
- cost of local transportation to and from the international airport closest to their residence,
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses while traveling to and from their residence to New York City,
- cost of meals and other incidental expenses incurred outside of the official portions of the Summer School, and
- any souvenirs, phone calls, equipment, etc. purchased for the Summer School or during the Summer School.
Please note that neither the UNAOC nor EF will reimburse any expense incurred by participants to the Summer School.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 years old on 16 August 2014 — the start of the UNAOC – EF Summer School.
- be linked to an organization or a network (e.g. youth council, youth NGO, not-profit organization, youth-led organization, community organization, faith-based organization, youth network or platform, college, university), or be a social entrepreneur, blogger, intern or volunteer.
- hold a passport valid until at least March 2015 (for a visa to be issued, a passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of entry into the country).
- possess upper-intermediate English proficiency.
Share and Enjoy